- "Kickbacks always fall into the wrong hands."
- — Tagline, from the front cover
Trouble in the Pipeline is the 26th book in The Hardy Boys Casefiles series.
Frank and Joe fly to Alaska to trace Scott Sanders, who's supposed to be working on a top-secret project for a mining firm. When company officials claim they've never heard of Scott, the Hardys grow suspicious. They find that some company managers have been selling jobs on the oil pipeline. But before the brother detectives can dig deeper, they're kidnapped and forced to bail out over the arctic wilderness. Stranded, Frank and Joe face their toughest test -- fighting hunger, grizzly bears, and bullets to survive -- while at trail's end a group called the Assassins waits to give them their final exam.
- Scott Sanders
- Sandy White
- Spike Hammond
- Virgil Asuluk
- Lisa Shannon
- Doug Hopkins
- Cindy Velikov
- Callie Shaw (mentioned only)
- Arctic Ocean
- Barmet Bay (passing mention)
Businesses and organizations
- Suicide pill
- This is a very rare Hardy Boys Casefiles story in that Frank and Joe go up against the Assassins without the backing of the Network. The Network is only mentioned three times, and it is in passing.
- The cover scene is depicted incorrectly. The scene is from Chapter 3 where the Hardy's have parachuted out of a plane, and have set up camp, using the one parachute that Frank grabbed from the plane (Joe had been tossed out with no parachute) as a tent. However, they had no utensil's or frying pans, as depicted on the front cover. Page 25 says that Frank built a grill out of "wet alder branches" and grilled the fish on those alder branches.